45g Castor Sugar
1 Egg Yolk150g Plain Flour
5tbsp Strawberry Jam
150g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder50g Soft Brown Sugar
40g Chopped Mixed Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 8in sqr baking tin with butter.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the egg yolk and flour alternatively. Mix till a soft dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin.
- Bake the biscuit base for 15 minutes. While it is in the oven, we can make the topping
- Mix together the flour and baking powder, and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and nuts.
- Take the biscuit base out of the oven and spread the jam while it's still warm.
- Sprinkle the topping on top of the jam and bake for another 35minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into 14bars.
- If your strawberry jam was like mine and has a knack of staying together and refused to spread, put the jam into a bowl and stir it around a bit, so the jam.. erm...loosens up; trust me, it helps.
- The original recipe says to 'sprinkle the toppings'; what I normally do is to take little bits of dough and flattening it in my hands before laying it on top of the jam. I only 'sprinkle when I have the jam is mostly covered.
- I normally cut mine into 16 squares. So go ahead and figure out what works for you.
My sister's colleagues seem to have taken a liking to these gorgeous-jammied-crunchy-crumbly treats and have been placing orders for them: